Considered one of the most desirable places to live in Northern Virginia, Herndon is a historic and picturesque town providing an exceptional quality of life. Nestled in Fairfax County, the family-friendly community offers an enjoyable and laid-back lifestyle thanks to its multitude of local attractions, small-town charm, and proximity to Washington, DC.
Interested in Herndon, VA homes for sale? Here, you’ll be able to get an insider’s look at this highly sought-after community. You’ll find in-depth information on the lifestyle, the real estate options, the best attractions and destinations, and all of the things that make Herndon a fantastic place to call home.
Herndon is located within the Washington, DC metropolitan area and is about 22 miles from downtown Washington, DC. Situated in western Fairfax County, the town encompasses over four square miles and is currently home to a population of more than 24,500.
Two major highways — Highway 28 and the Dulles Toll Road — flank Herndon on its west and south, making other suburbs in Northern Virginia easily accessible. The Dulles International Airport is a quick drive from Herndon, making the town a highly desirable choice for frequent travelers.
Despite being within a major metro area, Herndon manages to maintain a small-town charm, offering both convenience and relaxation for residents.
A glimpse of Herndon’s history
- Herndon occupies a small section of Northern Neck, which was granted by King Charles II of England to Thomas Culpeper of Thoresway in 1688.
- Herndon’s development was spurred by the arrival of the railroad in the 1850s. A new railroad depot was built in 1857. To establish a post office at the depot, a name was needed for the settlement. According to legend, a survivor of the S.S. Central America was present at the meeting held to decide the village’s name. The survivor regaled the group with the heroism of Commander William Lewis Hendon, who saved more than 150 people before going down with the ship. This prompted the group to name the new village in honor of the commander of the ill-fated steamer.
- During the Civil War, the railroad was seized by the Union Army to serve for their personal use. While most of the tracks and bridges were damaged during the war, Herndon was largely unaffected. The only recorded event in Herndon during the Civil War was a raid on the depot by Confederate Colonel John S. Mosby against a First Vermont Cavalry contingent on St. Patrick’s Day in 1863.
- Herndon encompassed over four square miles when it was officially incorporated. The town’s development was aided by the railroad, with dairy farms in the area shipping milk to Washington on a daily basis for processing and distribution. City dwellers looking to relax in the countryside made use of the railroad to reach Herndon, and many summer houses were soon built throughout town.
Herndon lies within the Dulles Technology Corridor, a cluster of defense and tech companies located near the Washington Dulles International Airport.
Dubbed “The Silicon Valley of the East” by Atlantic magazine, the Dulles Technology Corridor is home to headquarters and regional offices of many prestigious companies including Amazon, Apple, Microsoft, Boeing, Booz Allen Hamilton, Adobe Systems, Capital One, Freddie Mac, Raytheon, Hewlett-Packard, and Volkswagen.
Public schools serving Herndon are administered by Fairfax County Public Schools, a highly rated school district and one of the largest school divisions in the country, serving over 181,000 students across nearly 200 schools and educational centers.
Among the top-rated public schools in Herndon include:
- Clearview Elementary School
- Dranesville Elementary School
- Hutchison Elementary School
- Herndon Elementary School
- Herndon Middle School
- Herndon High School
Several top-quality private schools are available in Herndon as well, such as:
THE REAL ESTATE MARKET IN HERNDON, VA
Those interested in Herndon, VA homes for sale will be able to choose from a diverse selection of real estate options that can meet any type of preference or requirement. The town’s real estate market primarily consists of a mix of single-family homes, townhomes, and single-level garden-style and mid-rise condo developments. Vacant lots are also available for those planning to build a custom home.
Historically speaking, Herndon’s real estate market has been very competitive and has seen appreciation over the past several decades. Due to the town’s proximity to Washington, DC, abundant employment opportunities, excellent schools, and family-friendly setting, a home in a highly desirable market like Herndon stands to offer significant long-term value.
Homes in Herndon come in a wide variety of elegant architectural styles such as Colonial, Craftsman, Ranch, and Cape Cod. Many are designed to offer a perfect combination of privacy, comfort, and livability in a convenient and picturesque setting minutes away from top-quality amenities and attractions.
For those seeking luxury homes, Herndon offers a wealth of beautiful high-end residences guaranteed to impress even the most discerning home buyer. Many of the finest luxury homes for sale in Herndon, VA provide an exceptional lifestyle, with upscale features like spacious and light-filled living spaces, spa-like baths, elegant gourmet kitchens with top-of-the-line appliances, expansive decks overlooking breathtaking views, and stylish primary bedrooms with large walk-in closets and ensuite baths.
Ready to browse the best selection of Herndon, VA homes for sale? Start by taking a look at our Featured Properties!
LIVING IN HERNDON, VA
Each day is extraordinary when you’re living in Herndon, thanks to its wealth of attractions, recreational activities, and fun-filled events for all ages. And while there’s plenty to enjoy around town, all of the finest amenities and destinations in Washington, DC are a quick drive away, opening up even more exciting places to visit.
Here are some of the best attractions and activities you can enjoy when you’re living in Herndon.
Local parks and recreational facilities
Looking to spend time outdoors? Whether you’re out for a quick morning jog, planning a picnic with the family, or just want to reconnect with nature, there are plenty of parks and outdoor destinations throughout town. You can visit scenic parks in Herndon such as:
- Alabama Drive Park
- Bready Park
- Bruin Park
- Chandon Park
- Cuttermill Park
- Haley M. Smith Park
- Harding Park
- Runnymede Park
- Spring Street Park
- Stanton Park
- Trailside Park
Herndon’s award-winning Parks & Recreation Department organizes fun and engaging activities for the community throughout the year. The department is a multi-recipient of the Gold Medal Award for Excellence in Parks and Recreation Management from the American Academy for Parks and Recreation Administration (AAPRA).
In addition to the parks, the department manages the Herndon Community Center which has a comprehensive recreation program for residents. The 56,000-square-foot community center features a range of amenities including
- Multi-purpose rooms
- Racquetball courts
- A fitness facility and training studio
- Arts and crafts room
- Indoor tennis center
The Henderson Community Center also features a state-of-the-art aquatics facility with an eight-lane 25-yard swimming pool and diving and instructional areas.
Avid players and golf enthusiasts will love living in Herndon as the town is home to the Herndon Centennial Golf Course, an exceptional 18-hole par 71 course with rolling fairways, meticulously maintained greens, strategically placed bunkers, and meandering creeks.
A four-time host of the USGA Public Links Sectional Qualifiers, the award-winning golf course is considered one of the premier public courses in Northern Virginia, treating players to an unparalleled golfing experience.
For players looking to perfect their swing, the Herndon Centennial Golf Course features a state-of-the-art driving range with 14 hitting stations, an expansive grass tee complex, and an elliptical tee line for practicing different angles. There’s a short game practice area as well with an 11,000-square-foot bent grass putting green, a chipping area, and a practice bunker for pitch and sand shots.
The Sugarland Run Steam Valley Trail is perfect for Herndon residents looking to explore the outdoors and bask in the wonders of nature. Part of a countywide trail system, the four-mile trail runs alongside a stream, creating a picturesque setting for a relaxing stroll or a challenging run or bike ride. The entire trail is paved throughout and is mostly level, making it ideal for families with young children.
A newer section of the Sugarland Run Valley Stream Trail leads to the Washington & Old Dominion (W&OD) Trail, another popular hiking destination. Herndon lies in the middle of the trail, which starts in the neighborhood of Shirlington in Arlington, VA, and extends northwest to Purcellville, VA. The 45-mile paved trail follows the former roadbed of the Washington and Old Dominion Railroad, which traverses urban areas leading to the Virginia countryside.
The W&OD Trail is well-suited for a variety of activities including walking, running, biking, and skating. The trail provides access to numerous neighborhood parks and connecting trails, giving you the freedom to explore the area while enjoying the outdoors. For equestrians, a bridle path runs parallel with the W&OD Trail for over 32 miles, from Vienna to Purcellville.
There’s always something exciting to look forward to when you’re living in Herndon! There’s a stellar lineup of events organized by the Herndon Parks and Recreation Department (with new ones added every year), providing numerous opportunities to have fun and get to know other members of the community.
Some events held in Herndon include:
- NatureFest - Held at Runnymede Park, NatureFest takes kids on a fun, educational journey focusing on the plants and animals that thrive in the park.
- Homecoming Parade - Celebrate with students, athletes, and high school clubs and organizations at the Herndon Homecoming Parade, which takes place down Elden and Lynn streets.
- Play in a Day - One of Herndon’s newest events is Play in a Day, a theatre camp where students create, rehearse, and perform in a play all in one day!
- Pumpkin Plunge - One of the town’s most unique events is the Pumpkin Plunge, where participants swim in a floating pumpkin patch, grab a pumpkin, and decorate it while enjoying a steaming cup of cider and freshly made donuts.
- Puzzle-Palooza - Gather a team of four and compete with other teams trying to complete a 500-piece jigsaw puzzle at Puzzle-Palooza! Top teams get special prizes!
- Turkey Trot 5K - Kick off Thanksgiving weekend by participating in the annual Turkey Trot 5K, a 5k race held at the Herndon Community Center.
- Holiday Arts and Crafts Show - Shop for unique presents at the Holiday Arts and Crafts Show, which invites more than 70 local artisans and craftspeople to showcase and sell their work. You’ll be able to browse a wide selection of handcrafted items including jewelry, artwork, decorations, and Christmas items, along with freshly made homemade treats.
Check out the Herndon Parks and Recreation Department’s calendar for a schedule of upcoming events.
Whether you’re celebrating a milestone, dining out with the family, or just looking to satisfy your cravings, you can choose from an array of top-notch dining options in Herndon guaranteed to satisfy your taste buds!
There’s Cantina D’ Italia, a family-owned and operated restaurant serving authentic traditional Italian fare since 1993. For fine dining, Russia House Restaurant treats diners to innovative French-Russian fusion cuisine with delectable dishes like Kotlety Po-Kievski, a mouthwatering combination of chicken Kiev and breaded chicken breast stuffed with tarragon, chives, and parsley butter. Looking for an excellent brunch spot? Virginia Kitchen is sure to delight with their flavorful home-style breakfast menu with enticing classic palate-pleasers like country fried steak, eggs benedict, steak and eggs, pancakes, waffles, and wide variety of omelets.
These are just some of the many terrific restaurants you can find in Herndon!
FIND YOUR DREAM HOME IN HERNDON, VA TODAY!
If you’re looking for Herndon, VA homes for sale, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a more experienced and reliable group to have at your side than the Circadian Team. As one of the top-selling Realtor teams in the Northern Virginia area, the Circadian Team has helped countless clients looking to realize their real estate goals through their deep local knowledge, customized services, and propensity for delivering only the best results.